Wednesday 15 March 2017

CELEBRATING WOMEN FASHIONPRENEURS WITH..... ABIGAIL ASHLEY

1.     Tell us about yourself?

I am 21 year old young woman from Mochudi and I’m the eldest of 4, well now 7. We just welcomed 3 more beautiful girls into our family as my mother recently got married. I studied computer Information system at the University of Botswana and after the 1st semester of my third year after a modelling trip to china, I took the bold decision to quit. Now doing modelling full time and having my new brand of wigs you could say I’m busier than ever.

2.   Tell us about your business ?

Established 2017, Unicorn Fluff Enterprises is an all in one ball of out of the box and unorthodox range of services provided, for now, in Botswana. At the moment focusing on providing quality handmade wigs in a range of the most bold, get your noticed, big and vibrant colours and starting up a new makeup Vlogging  channel on Youtube whilst providing makeup services for events. And of course me as a brand in the modelling industry that I have managed to build since 2013.

3.   What does it mean to be a fashion entrepreneur and what are some of the challenges you face being an entrepreneur in the fashion industry?

To me it means self expression in the things that I enjoy the most like fashion and makeup and being able to share these interests with people from all over the world and to make a living out of it is but the cherry on top. It is about addressing the need for youth to express themselves in a way that is out of the box yet it being convenient to their lifestyles, for example a fashion creative has an even to attend. No time for a sew in and hair looking all crazy, I want them to think unicorn fluff wigs. I could just pop this wig on quickly and even better, I have a range of colours to choose from to suit my brand.
 Some of the challenges faced are of closed minded people who are unwilling to see this certain form of self expression. They want to live in old values of how a person should look or what colours of hair, makeup or clothing they feel are “appropriate”. And those that are open to the idea are afraid of judgment to society that chooses mediocrity over a banging wig, lol.

4.   The Fashion industry in Botswana is still seen as a hobby in Botswana and not a business venture moreover not a sector that could contribute to the economy of Botswana, what reason could this be, and secondly how can we move from this outlook to the fashion industry in Botswana being taken commercially serious.


      Honestly it is all about the attitude Batswana have towards local entrepreneurs that are different from what we are used to. They feel some things are not meant for us and are strictly for New York or Milan. Lord knows how many times I’ve popped my pink wig on, posted a picture online and have people ask me if I'm in Botswana or if I am even from here. We lack local support and for  a business to grow it needs first to be accepted locally before it can move internationally. Which brings me back to the attitude, Batswana need to change their attitude towards local brands and support them so they can eventually grow to international standards thus improving the economy. 
      And as for us being taken seriously, we need to first take ourselves serious and believe in our craft, then everyone else will follow from example

5.    As a woman entrepreneur, what advice could you give to other young women who would like to start a business?

I would like to say start young, start immediately the idea pops in your mind and ignore any negative factors that you think may stop you. Don’t think you are too young or too this, or not enough of that. BE BRAVE AND FEARLESS. If you are passionate about your craft and you work hard at it, it will definitely pay off.

6.   What words do you live by to get you through to the next day? 

“I am as old as the things I’ve experienced and as young as the thing I’m yet to experience.” Which to me means all I have in this world is time to achieve my dreams and accomplish all that I have set out for, Time or age is not a negative factor.

Contact information

Facebook:  Abigial Ashley
Instagram: Abigial Ashley @a_ash.ley
Unicorn fluff enterprises
@unicornfluff_shop

Email:  unicorn.fluffenterprises@gmail.com

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Fashion Meet Up BW | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig